Chetan Cheating Bhagat
Chetan Bhagat slammed for plagiarism by English scholar
Dr Birbal Jha, director of British Lingua, a spoken English institute in Patna, has alleged that Bhagat had lifted the plot of his latest novel, Half Girlfriend, from his bilingual play, Englishia Boli.
Bhagat's Bihar visit
"Bhagat had visited my institute in Patna in January this year and interacted with the students who were enrolled there," he said. "He even attended one of the classes there to observe things from close quarters."
Birbal said that the students at his centre were happy to see such a well-known author in their midst who had arrived there unannounced. "I had presented him a set of books which I have written for students seeking to improve their knowledge of spoken English," he said.
Birbal said that his gift of books to Bhagat included his play called Englishia Boli. "This is an educational social drama which was written in the drama form basically to educate the poor students of Bihar who had problems in speaking English with ease," he said.
"The main character of my book, Chandra Prasad, is a talented youth belonging to a small town of Bihar. He goes to Delhi but faces problems because of his inability to converse in English," Birbal said. "He also meets a modern girl there who speaks English with utmost fluency. She, however, falls in love with him towards the end of the play because of his ability to prove himself."
Birbal alleged that Bhagat had taken the same theme for his Half Girlfriend. "This cannot be sheer coincidence," he said.
The English communicator said that he had released his book more than a year before Bhagat's book hit the stands. "I am sending a legal notice to Bhagat for deriving the theme of his novel from my book," he said. Birbal said that he and his students were particularly peeved at the 'derogatory' portrayal of Bihari students in Half Girlfriend.
Earlier, residents of Dumraon had taken to streets in protest against Bhagat's depiction of their home town. They also burnt copies of Half Girlfriend as well as effigies of the writer. The descendants of the formerly princely estate had also threatened to sue the writer for making allegedly uncharitable remarks on them in his novel.
Bhagat could not be reached for his comments.
I don't know who this guy, Chetan Bhagat is. I just ckecked a wiki-page. Wiki is a seflf editing encycloperis, most abused in India. My surprise was the former princely state of Dumraon.
AREA: 2,330 km2 REVENUE: xx ACCESSION DATE: 16th May 1951
STATE: Bihar (Shahabad Dist.)
DYNASTY: Parmar RELIGION: Hindu
PRESENT RULER: Maharaja Bahadur KAMAL SINGH, 15th Maharaja of Dumraon since 13th November 1949.
born 29th September 1926, educated at the Colonel Brown School, Dehradun, at D.A.V. College, Dehradun, and at Patna Law College; Managing Director of Dumraon Industries (Pvt) Ltd. 1948/-; Elected to Parliament in 1952 and again in 1957; he formally handed over Dumraon Raj to D.M. (Shahbad) in June 1952; he established Maharaja Bahadur Ram Ran Vijay Prashad Singh College (now Maharaja College) at Arrah and donated land for educational institutions in Shahbad and Ballia in 1954; that same year the Maharani Usha Rani Girls School was founded at Raj Garh Dumraon by the Maharani Saheba, it was the first Girls School in the Area; he donated 15 acres of land to the Methodist Church for the T.B. Hospital, PratapSagar; Vice President, Bihar Chamber of Commerce, 1975/1976; President, Bihar Chamber of Commerce, 1977; married Maharani Usha Rani, died 1st April 1985 in Delhi, daughter of Raja Bahadur Bishwanath Saran Singh of Tiloi, and his second wife, Rani Phanindra Rajya Lakshmi Devi, and has issue, two sons and one daughter.
I write about Indian culture, mostly political in nature but it spreads into, languages, religious diversity and history. A country as old and as divided by regional variations, economic and educational progress or the lack thereof, makes an interesting topic for a casual writer or a famous writer, such as Chetan Bhagat. Bhagat cannot be blamed, most of famous marathi language writers borrowed themes from the Western writers. Bengali writers too did the same thing. Entertainment industry creates a faux-script but a really interesting movie out of it. The least Chetan Bhagat could do is to acknowledge Dumraon-writer's published book as an inspiration and split the profit, half-girlfriend, half-boyfriend.
...and I am Sid Harth
- Yuvraj Chandra Vijay Singh, born 1947, married 1stly, 1972 (div.1983), Rajkumari Ahalya Devi of Champrajpur in Gujarat, married 2ndly, 11th March 1986, Maharajkumari Kanika Deb Burman [Yuvrani Kanika Devi], daughter of HH Bisam-Samar-Bijayi Mahamahodya Pancha-Srijukta Maharaja Kirit Bikram Kishore Dev Varman Manikya Bahadur of Tripura, and his first wife, HH Maharani Padma Devi, and has issue.
- Bhanwar Sumair Vijay Singh (by first marriage), born 8th April 1974, educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot; married 13th December 2001, Bhanwar Baisa Pritika Kumari, third daughter of Shrimant Raja Narendra Singhji of Jamnia, and his wife, Shreemati Rani Kanak Devi, and has issue.
- Kumari Siddhangana Kumari, born 13th September 2004.
- Kumar Durv Vijay Singh, born 13th July 2009.
- Bhanwar Shivang Vijay Singh (by second marriage), born 10th January 1990, educated at Sela Qui School in Dehradun and presently (2010) studying Hotel Management at the Indian Institute of Hotel Management in Aurangabad.
- Bhanwar Samridh Vijay Singh (by
born 31st August 1991, educated at Sela Qui School
Dehradun and is presently (2010) studying Animation
from the Picasso
Animation College in New Delhi.
- Rani Mridula Kumari, married Maharaj Samar Singh of Dungarpur, and has issue, two sons.
- Maharajkumar Manvijay Singh, married 24th November 1986, Kumari Arunima Devi Jamwal, daughter of Col. D. S. Jamwal of Akhnoor in Jammu, and has issue, two daughters.
- Rajkumari Aakriti Kumari, born 11th February 1988, educated at Mayo College Girl's School, Ajmer and at Marinda House, Delhi University.
- Rajkumari Rohini Kumari, born 12th September 1990, educated at Mayo College Girl's School, Ajmer and is presently studying Advertisement Designing at the Perl Academy of Fashion Designing in New Delhi.
|PREDECESSORS AND SHORT HISTORY:
Founded by a branch of the Parmar rulers of Jagdishpur. Rulers
COURT OF WARDS 1907/1911
|ADDITIONS, CORRECTIONS, SUGGESTIONS? ... Click_here|
|DOWNLOAD or FILL IN SUBMISSION FORM / QUESTIONNAIRE|
|Back to WORLD OF ROYALTY or INDIAN PRINCELY STATES|
THIS PAGE WAS LAST MODIFIED : 20 December 2012
SEND THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND OR RELATIVE
...and I am Sid Harth